University Of Cape Town (UCT) Application Requirements
- 18 years of age
- In good standing at your home school
- 3.0 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale (GPAs under 3.0 will be considered on a case-by-case basis and will require additional documents outlined in a section below)
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing when program begins. Applicants need to have at least three semesters of course work when they enroll at the UCT (first semester sophomores can apply). Some local university courses may not be available to students of Sophomore standing. Please contact your IES Abroad Representative for more details.
- Online Application
Applications may be considered after the published deadline on a space available basis. Please note that late applicants may be required to submit a non-refundable confirmation deposit upon acceptance in order to secure a place in the program. Please contact us with questions about applying after the deadline.
Submit the following in your MyIESabroad account after your Online Application is processed:
- Home School Authorization
Your on-campus study abroad advisor can either complete the Home School Authorization electronically through IES Abroad’s PartnerPortal system, or by filling out the PDF form linked above. Consult your study abroad advisor to determine how they would prefer to complete your Home School Authorization.
- Official Transcript
- UCT Course Preference Form
Complete the above form by listing 5-7 course preferences for your term. Pay close attention to the term number (F courses for spring term, S courses for fall term). Please note: IES Abroad students should plan on only taking one 100 level course.
- Digital Headshot Photo Please upload a passport-style headshot in JPEG format. This photo must be clear and recent, with a full front view of your face and shoulders. Your photo will be used by University of Cape Town staff for official documents in preparation for your arrival.
- Students attending higher education institutions outside of the U.S. may need to submit English language proficiency exam results. Contact your IES Abroad Representative for more information.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS IF CUMULATIVE GPA IS BELOW 3.0:
- Professor Recommendation
Although there is no length requirement, the recommendation must indicate a professor’s opinion of the applicant’s academic ability to pursue university-level coursework in a foreign country, in addition to any information that would help IES Abroad gain a better understanding of the applicant.
- Personal Academic Essay
Although there is no length requirement, the essay must address your GPA, any particular academic challenges faced, reasons you chose this IES Abroad program, and how it fits into your academic career.
Passport & Visa Requirements:
Pro Tip: Renew (or Apply for!) Your Passport ASAP
Passport applications and renewals are taking longer than normal these days. Save yourself from the last-minute stress by making sure you 1. Have a passport, and 2. The expiration date is at least six months after your study abroad program ends. Visit travel.state.gov to locate U.S. passport agencies in your area.
A student visa is required to enter South Africa. Upon admission, you will receive more information about the application process and any related fees. The visa application process for non-U.S. citizens can be extremely lengthy, please contact us for more information.
University of Cape Town,
Private Bag X3,
+27 (0)21 650 9111