Requirements For Registering A Self-Help Group In Kenya
What is Self-Help Group? Self-help groups are informal groups of people who come together to address their common problems. While self-help might imply a focus on the individual, one important characteristic of self-help groups is the idea of mutual support – people helping each other.
In this article Dashboardlogins.com tries to answer the question by publishing the Requirements For Registering A Self-Help Group in Kenya
Below are the Requirements For Registering A Self-Help Group In Kenya
To register a for a self-help group i.e.(Youth / Women /Men /PWD/ Older persons/ Community Project group) one has to make an application with the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection.
Step 1 : Organize yourselves in a group of at least 10 members
Step 2 : Draft the group’s constitution
- A constitution is the group’s guide. Once this has been drafted and approved, every member should get a copy which they sign and commit to the terms and conditions.
- The constitution identifies the group’s mission, goals, and objectives.
Step 3 : Hold meeting to Elect groups officials and to seeking registration
- The three most important slots to be filled are the Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer.
- It’s important to have these positions occupied for accountability and organisation purposes of the group.
- Roles under these titles should also be defined, written down, and put in a document (preferably the constitution) so that every official understands and agrees to their scope of their work.
- It is important that the office of the secretary must know how to read and write.
- The minutes of the meeting seeking registration and showing elected officials are to be attached to the application forms.
Step 4 : Registrations with the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection’
- Visit the either Sub-county’s labour and social protection offices, Sub-county’s Public Service, Youth and Gender Affairs Offices or Huduma centre to make the application with the respective officer.
- You will be given a APPLICATION FORM FOR REGISTRATION OF SELF- HELP GROUP/COMMUNITY PROJECT to fill.
- Fill the Registration Form and make sure you tick with type of self-help group you want to register i.e. (Youth , Women , men , Mixed, PWD, Older persons or Community Project)
- Attach the following REQUIREMENTS:
i. The groups constitution
ii. Minutes of the meeting seeking registration and showing elected officials
iii. List of All members duly signed with Name/Position/ID No. and Signatures.
iv. Copies of National Identity Cards of all group members
Step 5 : Payment of applicable fees
- Pay the Approved Registration fee of Ksh.1, 000/= and lodge the Application at the office of the Sub-county social protection officer or Huduma Centre
Step 6 : Obtain the certificate
- It takes 5 working days for the Registration to be approved and a Certificate of Registration is issued by the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection Office
- Groups constitution
- Minutes of the meeting seeking registration and showing elected officials MUST be attached to the application forms.
- List of All members duly signed with Name/Position/ID No. and Signatures.
- Copies of National Identity Cards of all group members
- Registration fees receipt.
Office Locations & Contacts
State Department for Social Protection – Head Office,
Ministry of Labour and Social Protection,
Bishops Road, Social Security House
P.O. Box 40326 – 00100, Nairobi
Telephone: +254 (0) 2729800
Fax: +254 020 2726497
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Website: Ministry of Labour and Social Protection Website